December 20, 2006

President recommends Coca, and I do too.

From the BBC:
[Peruvian] President Alan Garcia said on Tuesday that coca leaves had many valuable uses, including giving relief from sore throats and colds.

Mr Garcia suggested the legal use of coca as a way of fighting cocaine production and trafficking.

Peru is the world's second largest producer of cocaine behind Colombia.

The coca plant has been used for centuries by Andean people for medicinal and ceremonial purposes, and has sacred status in some South American indigenous cultures.


It's as simple as that. I was in Colombia recently and had a chance to visit Expoartesanias, an indoor market/fair celebrating hand-made and cultural goods from around the country. To my surprise a few vendors sold products made from the Coca leaf including coca tea and coca cookies. I'm so glad I bought several boxes of the coca tea because during my stay in Colombia I was going to inevitably catch a cold or two venturing into the cooler climate high up in the mountains. Not only did the tea help with my sore throat but it opened me up to a tradition that is centuries old.

It's incredible how natural plants like coca and marijuana are demonized by our governments when laboratory-made drugs like Vicodin and Ritalin are openly promoted and recommended. Don't get me wrong, cocaine and crack are horrible substances, but lets remember that the indigenous people of the Andes weren't the ones who invented them... nor the ones creating the MARKET to PURCHASE them.

Now if only I could get some natural Coca Tea here in the states...

Labels: , ,


2 Comments:

At 12/22/2006 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm down with that, brother! These are sacred plants to be used as needed, but our greedy culture has turned them into something addictive, toxic and hypocritcal, not to mention profitable for some of the worst humans ever. Legalize the plants!

 
At 12/22/2006 5:49 PM, Blogger chico-towner said...

Not to mention some of the worse humans ever gain power and authority by waging this foolish "war on drugs" that puts thousands behind bars for a victim-less crime (choosing to take a funky substance).

Time Magazine sez we're the people of the year, and we're gonna use our influence to spread the word!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home