July 13, 2006

Beautiful Libertarian words from a Democrat



Holy shit, this guy hit it on the head:
Congressman David Obey (D-WI) had this to say in support of the Hinchey-Rohrabacher amendment, which would have prohibited the Department of Justice from using appropriated funds to interfere with medicinal cannabis laws:

If I am terminally ill, it is not anybody's business on this floor how I handle the pain or the illness or the sickness associated with that illness. With all due respect to all of you, butt out. I did not enter this world with the permission of the Justice Department, and I am certainly not going to depart it by seeking their permission or that of any other authority. The Congress has no business telling people that they cannot manage their illness or their pain any way they need to. I would trust any doctor in the country before I trust some of the daffy ducks in this institution to decide what I am supposed to do if I am terminally illÂ… When is this Congress going to recognize that individuals in their private lives have a right to manage their problems as they see fit without the permission of the big guy in the White House or the big guy in the Justice Department or any of the Lilliputians on this Congressional floor? Wake up!

Too bad that amendment didn't pass thanks to the so-called "conservative" Republicans in the majority (vote them out!!!). Anyways, David Obey kicked ass in his speech, I hope he gets reelected in November.


4 Comments:

At 7/14/2006 6:36 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

Chico, I've never heard of this guy, but I like what he has to say. Unfortunately, I think we could tell the right to mind their own fucking business until we're all blue in the face, and it wouldn't make a bit of difference. After all, we're too stupid to know what's in our best interests.

 
At 7/14/2006 10:06 PM, Blogger billie said...

hinchey is my congressman. i wish i had obey too.

 
At 7/15/2006 12:48 PM, Blogger chico-towner said...

Laurie, it would make a difference, not in changing the minds of the right-wing fanatics, but in waking up the good-hearted folks sitting on the fence not knowing what to do. Its like shouting in a crowd to a friend so that they can locate you. In this crowded arena of politics we need to speak up so good people can find the way, Congressman Obey did a hell of a great job in speaking up loudly and that's why I posted it on my blog, so that the reasonable folks among us can wake up and join the fight.

 
At 7/17/2006 6:16 PM, Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I heard him when he gave that speech and I believe it came straight from his heart. It was an outstanding moment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home